Chinese Language and Culture
The AP Chinese Language and Culture summer course will help new and experienced teachers understand the various elements of the curriculum framework forming the basis for the AP course and the exam. This course will give participants hands-on experience by using a College Board-endorsed consultant and College Board materials to develop their syllabus, create lesson plan units of instruction, and provide feedback to students as they gain the proficiency needed for success on the exam.
Topics will include the following:
- AP courses: goals, objectives, content, resources, bibliographies, and equipment
- The AP Examination: how it is developed and graded
- Syllabi, lesson plans, and assignments
- AP Course Audit information
- Strategies to prepare students from the basic level to the AP Chinese Exam
In this course, participants will:
- Understand the National Standards for Foreign Language Learning in the 21st Century within a thematic curricular alignment.
- Develop culturally relevant instructions that broaden students' understanding of the products, practices, and perspectives of the target culture.
- Explore strategies for using authentic materials to develop language proficiency and cultural understanding.
- Integrate technology tools to engage students and provide formative assessment and feedback for learning.
- Incorporate the 21st Century skills into the modes of communication.
- Have ample time for collegiate interaction to share resources, exchange successful techniques, and learn to become a reflective teacher.
What participants should bring:
- A laptop or other device for connecting to online resources
- If available, the textbook you expect to use for teaching the AP Chinese course
- Textbooks you have used for your class, samples of student work, or samples of assessments
- Authentic materials you have adapted for your class
- One of your favorite teaching units
- A list of mobile apps or technology tools